Monday, September 12, 2011

Anniversary Gifts

As I mentioned in this post last week, today is mine and my husband's 24th wedding anniversary. We agreed many years ago that we would no longer buy gifts for one another but instead would purchase something for the family to use. This year it is a small video camera. I also have a gift for one of you. See the end of this post for details.



Mike and I had known each other most of our lives. We attended the same school, he had played football with my brother and we had some of the same friends. Finally one day when I was about 15 he stayed around after football practice for me to finish with band and asked me out. I quickly told him I would go out with him if he got a hair cut. (He claims now that is why he lost all the hair he had). That was late on a Thursday evening and when he showed up at school on Friday morning his hair was cut. That is when I know we might have something. We dated for the next three years and got married when I graduated from high school. As I told you in my last post the beginning few year we had our difficulties as we learned not only to live together but also to live with a new baby that was born just a year and 3 months after our wedding. As aggravating as the toothpaste was, we or should I say I had bigger issues that I had to deal with. As much as I knew Mike loved me, I still had trouble believing that I was lovable. As often as he told me I was beautiful I did not believe I was. No matter how much he praised my cook, cleaning, mothering or anything else I just did not feel I was good enough in any of these areas to keep him in the marriage. Therefore, every small disagreement became more than it should have been.

Most of the disruptions in our marriage came from the lies Satan had convinced me of. Lies that I continually told myself. It was not until 2002 in a small rural church when I was introduced to the Truth, to God that I was able to combat the lies that bombarded me daily. I can not say that I never have those thoughts, that I never speak a negative word to myself but I can let you know that with the Word of God-the Bible I have a sword to weld. I know that if it had not been for God and His words of truth we would not be celebrating 24 years today.

Here is what God says about you:

You are the temple of the Holy Spirit. 1 Cor. 6:19
You are the apple of His eye. Zec.2:8
You are in the palm of the Lord’s Hand Isa. 49:16
You are covered by the shadow of His Hand Isa. 51:6
You are loved by God as much as He loves Jesus John 17:23
You are complete in Him. Col.2:10
You are accepted in Him. Eph 1:6

I pray that you will hide these words (and more) in your heart to be able to fight the Father of Lies when he comes at you.




Now, for my anniversary gift to one of you: Another book outside the Bible that has help me to fight this battle is "Soul Talk, Soul Talk" by Jennifer Rothschild. Jennifer has a message for every woman: Words are powerful. Especially the words women speak to themselves. All too often, what they say to themselves when they lie in bed at night or look in the mirror in the morning is not even close to the words God wants them to speak to their souls.




I have 3 ways for you to win Jennifer's book:
1) Leave a comment today telling me what you continue to tell yourself that you know is not a truth from God. I will pray for God to show you a specific promise in His word for you combat that lie with whenever it comes to you mind.
2) Become a follower of my blog through either Google Friend Connect or Networked Blogs on the left sidebar.
3) Share a link to my blog on either Facebook, Twitter, your own blog or all three.
**Winner will be picked at random on Friday, September 16,2011 at 12:00 PM CMT.**

5 comments:

  1. That I've already lived my best days... that my best ministry days have already happened. I know it isn't truth, but it's one of the favorite taunts of the enemy!

    Love Jennifer Rothschild. Don't have this book. Thanks for the opportunity.

    peace`elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thanks so much for this opportunity. And, thanks Elaine for posting this on facebook.

    Wow! I, too, struggle with lies from the enemy about my best ministry days being over. I also deal with the idea that I am spiritually and physically ill-equipped to fulfill God's call. Again, an untruth spoken by the enemy to discourage.

    Thanks for the wonderful post, Amy! You are a blessing! :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I came over for a visit from Kimberly's blog. I appreciate the encouragement I found here. Lately, Satan has been after me about being a failure in life. "What have I really accomplished?", he whispers. Blessings to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if I am too late! But I would love to read this book. I have long struggled with the things I speak to myself. Lately, it is been nagging little things like...you are so disorganized, you are so scattered. :( Been trying to fight those thoughts off with truth.

    This book sounds like a blessing! :)

    Oh, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your man! :)

    Blessings,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! I found you through Sheila Gregoire. Even if it's too late I'll just comment anyway....

    I have moments where I think I am a "bad mom". This is not a good thing for me to think since I have eight children. God picks me up and dusts me off again!

    Jill Farris

    www.jillcampbellfarris.com

    ReplyDelete