Thursday, February 18, 2010

Snow on the Beach

I am a little late checking in with this Valentine's weekend review but better late than never.
My sweet hubby and I left around lunch on February 12 and headed to the Gulf coast of Alabama. I had been awake off and on the whole night before wondering if we were going to be able to make this long awaited trip due to the predicted snow fall. It had been 22 years (since our honeymoon) that we were able to get away, just the two of us alone, without the children. We desperately need some quiet and reconnection time, so I was not going to let a little snow and freezing temperatures stand in our way. As we left the house in Northern Alabama we had about 2" and it was still falling but the further South we drove the deeper the snow got. After driving for about 3 hours the snow was as deep as 5-6" but thank God the roads were not icy. We finally got to the coastal area and although it was very, very cold there was no snow. Even if the weather was not what you would consider perfect beach conditions it was exactly what we needed as a couple… as husband and wife not as mom and dad. During the next two days we were able to recognize that we do still have things to talk about beside kids, school events and work. We realized that we will be able live together in the empty nest that is quickly coming. We had laughter filled dinners, late brunches, walks through the outlet malls with no concern about purchasing anything, visit to an historical site and we were even able to brave the cold to stroll on the beach. This weekend was not the grand vacation many dream about. It was not an expensive trip. It is not one that I will pull out the photos to show others but it is on that I will always remember. It is the vacation my marriage needed. The one my life needed. The one my heart needed. It is the vacation that our God provided.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Amy, love your blog. Thanks for your comment on my site. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mom glad you had a great time at the beach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Amy! I'm so glad you stumbled across "He Lives". I needed your words of encouragement. It also sounds like God might have some support for you here as well. I will be in prayer for your upcoming witness; God will use you if you "step aside" and let Him do the talking! Thank you for this beautiful post on your beach trip. I am glad the cold kept away the crowds and allowed you and your hubby time to concentrate on each other and God :)

    Blessings to you and yours,
    Gail W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    It sounds heavenly! So glad that you and your hubby got away together. We all need to take time for one another in this way. My husband is so busy with working and finishing up his college classes (done in December) and we have little time right now to get away. I can't wait until he and I can do this too.

    Have a good weekend!
    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog to visit--it's nice to meet you! Your blog is lovely.

    I'm glad God provided such a special time for you and your hubby. Vacations don't have to be fancy to be good!

    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete