Friday, February 22, 2013

All Mama Did and Still Does {Five Minute Friday}

Five Minute FridayToday I am joining my friends and Lisa-Jo this morning for Five Minute Friday. If you’re new here (welcome!) the rules are simple: Write, don’t edit, link your post to her page, and then share the encouragement like wildfire. You can do that, I know you can. The prompt this week is a little different than Lisa's normal one word, it is a phrase.:  Tell me all about what your mama did that made her yours….

When you first meet my mama you may notice her beautifully soft silver hair. Or maybe it will be her sweet inviting smile that catches your attention. After spending time with her you will become endeared to her by her calming voice and wise advise. When she leaves you may notice her slight limp from knee surgery but mostly you will anticipate when you will have a chance to spend time with her again.  These are attributes you will notice in just a short time but if you stick around her for as long as I have then you will at some point notice her hands.  Not so much for the way they look but for all the things they do.  Those hands have done so much for so many people in so many ways.  These are just a few of all those hands have done for me:

As a baby those hands held me close as she rocked me to sleep.
As a tot those hands cleaned up the many messed I made as I learned new things.
As a pre-K little girl those hands began to teach my how to color within the lines.
As a elementary student those hands would awake early to french braid my hair for special school days.
As a middle schooler those hands patiently sewed a hula hoop in a dress the night before a play beacause I forgot to tell her I needed a large 18th century type hoop skirt.
As a high schooler  hands gently wiped away the tears that flowed after a best friend hurt my feelings, or when I didn't make the dance team and especially when I came home with my heart broken by my first love.
As a bride-to-be those hands spend hours upon hours lovingly stitching tiny pearl beads and lace to the train of my dress to make it a one of a kind.
As a bride those hands carefully placed my veil carefully on my over sprayed hair.
As a young wife those hands taught me how to make my house a home with just a little paint, decorating and a lot of love.
As a new mom those hands taught me how to use my hands to sweetly care for my own little ones.

Those hands have cooked, cleaned, sewn and repaired but most importantly those hands, my mama's hands, taught me to love not just in word but in deed.

Dear children, let us not love with words or 
tongue but with actions and in truth. 
1 John 3:18

3 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to your mom. Loved it. Followed you from five minute friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful...thank you for sharing. Blessings, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete