Friday, January 18, 2013

The Hand You Hold

My parents have always enjoyed going to flea markets and yard sales. Mother would spend time carefully digging through a box just in case there was a treasure at the bottom. While Dad would walk around touching each and every piece of furniture, equipment or any other big item trying to decide how much he could talk the owner down.  One Sunday they loaded us kids in the van and head to the largest indoor flea market in town.  After we have walked past hundreds of vendors, I saw something I wanted  to get a closer look at so I let go of my daddy's hand and walked away. It was only for a minute but I was focused on the sparkly object of my desire I also took my eyes off dad.  Even when I began walking back towards my dad I still keep looking back to the object.  I slow slipped my hand into his and took a few steps.  I finally looked up to ask if I could get the treasure I wanted. Imagine my surprise when I lifted my eyes up to see a face I did not recognize.  I was holding the hand of a man I did not know. He smiled, dropped my hand but I began to cry. I quickly looked around and right behind me was my daddy.  As he scooped me up in his arms, he wiped my tears and said, "You don't have to worry I had my eye on you the whole time." 



Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of our head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, you are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31
 
 
I have often found myself looking to the shiny objects that the world has to offer.  When I do that means I take my eyes off of the Father to lead me.  But it is always such a comfort to know that no matter how far I wonder off He keeps He eye on me and is waiting for me to look up, look around and come running back to Him. 
 
 
If you have walked away following things lift your head, look around and He is there to pick you up, dry your tears and hold your hand going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment